CAN WE DISTINGUISH NEED FROM DESIRE IN LOVE?
This is one of the central questions of philosophy, psychoanalysis, and the psychology of love. And perhaps that is precisely why Louise Glück's verse is so powerful:
All day I tried to distinguish
need from desire.
She does not say she tried to choose between need and desire. She says she tried to distinguish them. As if, in the experience of love, they were almost inseparable.
The dialogue from Heartstopper Forever echoes this:
Charlie: Do you need me?
Nick: Yeah. So much.
At first glance, it seems like a romantic answer. But it also raises a delicate question: is it healthy to need someone?
Experts would answer in quite different ways.
The Philosophical Tradition
Plato: Desire is Born from Lack
In the Symposium, love (eros) is born because we are incomplete. We desire that which we do not possess.
In this sense, need and desire are relatives: both point to an absence. But Plato believes that desire can mature and cease to be merely a physical lack, becoming a search for the beautiful, the true, and the good.
Love begins as lack; it can end as contemplation.
Spinoza: Love Increases Our Power
Spinoza would be suspicious of the word "need."
For him, a good relationship is not one in which two people survive thanks to each other, but one in which both increase each other's power to exist.
It is not:
"Without you, I do not exist."
It is:
"With you, I become more capable of existing."
This difference is huge.
Simone Weil: Need and Good
Simone Weil makes a beautiful distinction.
Human needs can be satisfied. The good, however, is never simply consumed.
A person may be necessary because they offer care, protection, or emotional nourishment. But they should not be reduced to a utilitarian function.
To love someone is to recognize a value that exceeds what that person provides for us.
Psychoanalysis
Here, the distinction takes another form.
Freud
Freud differentiates biological need and desire.
Need can be satisfied. I am hungry. I eat. It's over.
Desire is not like that. It returns. It changes objects. It never finds definitive satisfaction.
That is why loving never completely eliminates desire.
Lacan
Lacan radicalizes this idea. He distinguishes three things:
- need;
- demand;
- desire.
Need can be satisfied. Demand asks for love. Desire is born precisely from what remains even after the need has been met.
This is why Lacan says that desire is structurally endless.
When someone says "I need you," they might be saying very different things:
- I need your care;
- I need your recognition;
- I need to be loved.
And none of these needs fully coincides with desire.
Contemporary Psychology
Attachment Theory also helps a lot.
John Bowlby and Mary Ainsworth showed that human beings truly need bonds. That is to say: needing someone is not automatically dependency. It is part of human nature.
The problem arises when need eliminates autonomy.
Researchers usually distinguish between:
- Healthy dependence;
- Emotional dependence (codependency).
In the first:
I can live without you. But living with you makes my life richer.
In the second:
Without you, I stop knowing who I am.
This difference is fundamental.
bell hooks
bell hooks criticizes precisely the confusion between love and need.
She writes that much of what we call love is, in reality, an attempt to fill personal voids.
For her, love involves:
- care;
- responsibility;
- respect;
- knowledge;
- commitment to the other person's growth.
It is not enough to need. It is necessary to want the other person to flourish.
Erich Fromm
In The Art of Loving, Fromm perhaps formulates the most famous distinction:
"Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says: 'I need you because I love you.'"
The phrase is often quoted precisely because it reverses the logic.
In the first version, need produces love. In the second, love brings forth a different kind of need: not for survival, but for presence.
Is There Something Beyond Need and Desire?
Perhaps yes. Many philosophers would say that a third dimension exists. We could call it presence.
- Martin Buber would talk about the I-Thou encounter.
- Iris Murdoch would talk about loving attention.
- Emmanuel Levinas would talk about responsibility before the Other.
In these perspectives, loving is not merely:
- desiring the other;
- needing the other.
It is also recognizing the alterity of the other, their own existence, which cannot be reduced to our needs or our desires.
The other ceases to be what I lack or what satisfies me and becomes someone whose existence matters in itself.
Perhaps the most enduring love eliminates neither need nor desire. It reorganizes them. Need ceases to be despair and becomes trust; desire ceases to be mere lack and becomes continuous curiosity about the other. And, beyond them, something harder to name emerges: the joy of knowing that the other exists, regardless of everything they can give us.